- The average radius of the prokaryotic cells is:
a. 0.5-2.0 μm b. 1.0-4.0 μm c. 1.0-10.0 μm d. 5.0-10.0 μm
e. 10.0-30.0 μm
- While viewing the soil sample under the microscope you will notice a rod- shaped cell devoid of a nucleus. The only correct assumption that can be made of the cell thus far is that:
a. It is a eukaryote b. It is gram positive c. It contains peptidoglycan
d. It contains mitochondria e. It is part of a multicellular microorganisms
- Which of the following is likely to contain structures composed of N-acetylmuramic acid and N-acetylglucosamine:
a. Spheroplastsb. Mycoplasmas c. Escherichia coli d. Protoplasts
- The association of endotoxin in Gram-negative bacteria is a result of the presence of:
a. Peptidoglycan b. Lipopolysaccharidesc. Polypeptide d. Steroids e. Calcified proteins
- The reason that bacterial cells are more resistant to osmotic shock than are eukaryotic cells is that they:
a. Contain a cell wall composed of cellulose b. Contain osmo- regulating porins c. Actively block water molecules from entering the cell
d. Are selectively permeable e. Contain a cell wall composed of peptidoglycan
- Which of the following describes prokaryotic cell membrane?
a. Selectively permeable b. Regulates passage of materials into and out of the cell c. Contains proteins and phospholipids d. Contains metabolic enzymes e. All of these
- Bacterial fimbriae present on the outer cell surface are used for:
a. cellular activity b. Sexual reproduction c. Cell wall synthesis
d. adherence to surfaces e. Adhernce and exchange of genetic information.
- The use of the antibiotics that inhibit or inactivate cellular ribosomes will result directly in the loss of which of the following functions:
a. ATP production b. DNA replication c. Phagocytosisd. Protein syntheis e. Cell division
- Chloroplasts are organelle that actively carry out photosynthesis. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of them?
a. Are found in plant and algal cells b. Contain the pigment chlorophyll
c. Are membrane enclosed d. Are found in photosynthetic prokaryotic cells
e. Are found only in eukaryotic cells
- Which of the following is true of phagocytosis?
a. Is not engery dependent b. Requires concentration gradient
c. Occurs in prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells d. None of the above
e. A larger cell engulfs a smaller cell that will eventually be present in an internal vacuole.
- All of the following pertain to mitoisis EXCEPT:
a. new cells receive one copy of each parent cell chromosome
b. Preceded by DNA replication
c. Results in gamete production
d. Spindle apparatus guides chromosome movement
e. Process of nuclear division.